Monday, April 21, 2008

Africa is Life Changing Inc.


So i decided that i am going to be more diligent in blogging since i seem to find myself on a computer more often than not. McKay has an exciting story about how we FINALLY has out played out little puppy. But i will let him tell you all about that. This week has been an eventful one. McKay left on Monday to go to Bakersfield for work and came back Thursday. In the meantime, boy did i stay plenty busy with papers due and finals coming up... and our wonderful puppy broke my flash drive with my papers saved on it. Hence the week of computer time and researching begun once again. Everything is all turned in now and all that is left is a few finals to take (like all six tests) by Thursday. And then it it off to Hawaii for me! YAHOOO!! Which brings me to my next point. Have you seen the weather forecast? Compare that to our 10-day outlook here in the rocky mountains. Something seems to be amiss in this outlook wouldn't you say? At any rate, it will be wonderful and I am looking forward to this little vacation.
Have you heard of Africa is Life Changing? "Africa is Life Changing, Inc. (AILC) is a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to nurturing the value of women and children in Kenya. The AIDS pandemic ravages the country, leaving children orphaned, unprotected and struggling to survive." McKay and I went to a benefit on Saturday for this held at the posh La Callie in Sandy. WOW is all that I have to say about that. I want to go back in the summer when all of the gardens are in bloom. What really effected me though was the concept of Africa is life Changing. They talked about how much a difference is made by our contributions and how the lives of these mothers and children are effected. One little boy was so happy to just have a chicken in the village because now he could have TWO eggs a week instead. I thought about that and how in my fridge I currently have 3 dozen eggs just sitting there and a freezer full of meat and frozen waffles and ice cream. We truly are blessed and because of those blessings we are able to serve others. There is a painting by Liz Lemon Swindel. It is of a little orphan boy named Kennedy. This really touched me as I thought about the impact of the painting and the reality of it. The model was there and introduced the painting and told of his experience there. I told McKay that we should pack up and move to Africa and start a foundation to help there. Or in Haiti. If you have any ideas please let us know. I think I may start some kind of organization.....

No comments:

It's a Wonderful Life and a GIVEAWAY!

Well, we have had Christmas decorations up since Nov 1 at my house. I decided there was no point in putting away Halloween to just move all ...