Monday, June 08, 2009

Topol's last hurrah!


Makana and I stumbled across this ad in a family magazine and saw that Topol, the star of the motion picture was on his farewell tour for the Broadway production of Fiddler on the Roof. Having both seen the movie numerous times, we quickly decided that we needed to buy tickets and take this last opportunity to see the original "Tevye" live.

The tickets actually weren't that bad. They were $30 for the top seats. (They were actually $23, but then Ticket Master always charges its $8 fee for buying the tickets online, what a crock! Ticket Master is one of those big, evil business empires that I can't stand and would like nothing better than to see it crumble. Now that would be an area of business that I would actually like to see Congress go after and regulate. But that is a subject for another time.)

Makana printed off instructions on how to get to the place, except she forgot a map and we didn't see the exit. Well I hate driving in Houston because I can never find anything, but luckily we had our good brother-in-law direct us there over the phone. We had also left early enough that we had plenty of time to get lost. We went to find parking and there was a place that was charging $7 to park underground for the whole time. "What a rip off!" we thought and so ended up parking on the street and paying $6. (Furthermore, I had to go out at intermission and put more money in because it was a 2 hour limit...yeah I guess it would have been better to pay the extra $1). I'm like that though, anything to save a buck. Although, I did feel kind of sheepish afterward.
Well, cheap seats and all, we had a blast and actually had a pretty good view. I was talking afterward to Makana and we both decided that Tevye was the one irreplaceable person in the show. We don't know how it will be without him in the future now because Topol really is Fiddler on the Roof. Thinking about it, there aren't really many other actors/actresses that can make that claim. I would say most of them, even the leads, are replaceable. Sure, it would be nice to have the original, but the show can go on without them. I would even say that with such icons as Julia Andrews or Gene Kelly or Angela Lansbury; they can be replaced and the show not suffer much.

Well, needless to say, we loved it and everyone gave Topol a standing ovation at the end. It was fun to see him on stage because he would ad lib a little bit and really crack us up. He definitely wasn't as spry as he once was (I did the math and he must be in his 80's!), but still gave us the signature moves during his solo performances.










3 comments:

makana bahama mama said...

This was a great show and I am so glad that we went to it. I love the skyscrapers and the diversity in downtown. Getting lost was pretty fun actually, well, I get lost everywhere I go so I am used it. Tevye was spot on in this performance.

Bradley, MaryAnn, and Aimee said...

I'm just like you Makana, I get lost all the time! Brad knows my hometown, where my parents live, better than I do. And sad to say, I've never seen Fiddler on the Roof. Just this past fall I saw a clip of it from one of my classes and I became interested. I just need to go rent it now!

And just like your husband, Brad will do anything to save a buck! :) I know how that goes. Wow, sounds like our families are a lot alike!!

marcia said...

I'm so jealous that you got to see Tevya!!!! Wow he's definitely one actor I'd like to see perform in person.

Soccer came and went

 We just finished up a 6 week soccer team. It was SO much fun. That's one of the things I LOVE about homeschooling is that there reall...