Thursday, September 01, 2011

Mommy thoughts: Paychecks

Have you read this talk yet? I am sure you have. But if it has been a while, by all means, click on over and have a sit. Then you can come back and thank me. I'll wait. 

The reason for my post is simply this,

"His (hubbs) paycheck comes often. Hers (momma) may come a few times in her life. And now perhaps, because of the choice of a child, one check may not come at all."

If you have ever had a way ward friend, or relative, you know how badly it can hurt. It hurts that they no longer believe in God. It hurts what they say and what they do. And it hurts to know that sometimes, that relationship may need to be put on hold for a while. My mother has a daughter that is. And as her sister, it just breaks my heart into a million pieces. The itty-bitty kind that are really hard to see. You can imagine what my prayers are like. 

But, 
I have this little girl and this great guy. I love them more than the world. And I know that there are choices each person must make in their own lives. But I also know that I am going to do my best to make every single moment count. That, my friends, is my duty and my honor. I can't do more than my very best every day.  
Unfortunately, sometimes my best every day is hard to muster. And then I feel loads of guilt. Guilt for the dirty laundry, for working, for not being patient enough or that my prayers and scripture study are done simply out of obedience rather than desire. And I have to remind myself that God knows my heart. My Savior heals all wounds. And at the end of the night, for now at least, my paycheck comes with a hug and kiss and three songs sung to me before I am ordered to be by my toddler. Yes, she tells to go to bed now. 


I know this post is probably a little scattered but I have had so many thoughts about motherhood recently. Well, just about my role as a woman. It started with this quote


"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley


be sure to head over and read about more inspiring women or to submit your own woman of inspiration. Its time we give out those paychecks.

No comments:

Soccer came and went

 We just finished up a 6 week soccer team. It was SO much fun. That's one of the things I LOVE about homeschooling is that there reall...