Wednesday, December 03, 2014

My totally cliche new year resolutions


Funny thing about cliche's right. They become cliches in the first place because they are so common.

Not very long ago I had such specific goals. They incorporated ass facets of living. Emotional, spiritual, physical, mental and something else I can't remember. But you know what, I simply don't have the motivation for all that. I could say I don't have the time but I probably do. I mean, If I REALLY REALLY wanted it, I could. Instead, I will shout from the rooftops that I just don't want to do it.

I have been reading this book by Sheryl Sandburg called Lean in. It really isn't anything new. I enjoyed the stories and some advice she gave. Other things I really disagree with. However, I do recommend every woman and man to read it. McKay actually recommended that I read it. Early on she attacks the idea of "having it all". She says simply that if someone claims to be able to do it all or have it all, they are lying. I am lucky enough to NOT get weighed down by comparisons in that respect. By vice is comparing my body... not to others per say, but to the time in my life when I was in my best shape ever. Such a dumb thing for anyone to ever do. But I do it. I'm working on NOT doing it.

That's not my point. My point is, er, was--- that goals need to be realistic. And I am totally okay with simple and realistic. Will I get up at 5am and go run then come home and make breakfast and then drop off my perfectly coiffed children to school? Nope. That will probably never happen and for a lot of people, that is not even a big goal. Its probably something people do every day in fact. But for this mama who HATES mornings, it really is all I can do to get up 30 minutes early to read the Book of Mormon.


What I am trying to say (and failing miserably) is that goals should not be something that gets you down. They SHOULD be challenging and they should stretch you, but lets be easy on ourselves.


A while ago I wrote a post about our family rules. It was discussed, pondered, prayed, discussed again, analyzed and even agonized over. FINALLY, we got our 6 family rules. Simple. Do-able. In like fashion, here are my six goals for 2015

1. Run a 10k in under 60min. Thats about 9.4mile. schedule here
-sub goal is a Triathalon w McKay
2. Study the Book of Mormon for 30min each morning
-sub goal: read with kids and McKay each day
3. Stay in budget actually, i am pretty good about this anyhow but its a good goal to keep
-sub-goal: travel to a foreign country sans kids (probably Europe)
4. Read a non-fiction once a quarter I LOVE fiction. I really do need to branch out though
5. Be a better friend Sounds very general. But, I do have a plan that involves sending birthday cards, calling up friends and family monthly, having people over for dinner etc
6. Say YES a whole lot more I just really want to recapture that girl I was before marriage and kids. I want to be up for adventures instead of worrying so much.


Well, what do you think? What are your goals, as cliche as they may be? Goals can become a lot like family photos... there is A LOT of work that goes into getting one that works.

3 comments:

Marcia Hansen said...

cute family pictures. And for someone who thinks they don't have big goals I'd say yours were pretty impressive.

Lindsey and Jared said...

Great pictures! And I love your goals! I miss being the carefree girl too, I want to recapture some of my FUN! :)

Heather Palmer said...

I love your cute family! Great goals too:)

Soccer came and went

 We just finished up a 6 week soccer team. It was SO much fun. That's one of the things I LOVE about homeschooling is that there reall...