Sunday, May 24, 2015

Traditions are what make us


Families. Not much in this world evokes such response as asking people about their own families. I have been blessed to have opportunity to talk to lots of women about this very subject. As I began writing this post, I came across this quote.

The home I grew up in is surrounded by 3 rice fields and a canal in the back. My dad, uncles and grandpa built our home about 28 years ago. We spent a lot of time fishing and swimming in that canal
As summertime quickly approaches, for me that means family reunions. Whoop whoop! 

This year I have spent some time planning a reunion. Betcha didn't know I had 9 brothers and sisters. To say coordinating this has been a breeze would be a lie. With one sister over seas, two about to have their first baby, one brother going back to school and one a LDS mission--- we finally set up a place and time. Disneyland in two years. Hopefully that will be catalyst for a reunion every 2 years. I hope. 
this is minus my twins. a nephew, a niece and a BIL. We need a new photo

I am heartbroken to report that family I married into are going to be partying it up in St. George for the Hansen family reunion. Sound fun? Well it is going to be. And I made the tough choice to stay home with my 10 month old twins. 
this is minus the 6 babies we have added since last year


MY POINT I am getting totally sidetracked from is this. Families are important. And traditions are important. 

Listen to this podcast. It talks about why. 

Growing up in CA, every Fourth of July we would go camping. And by camping, please picture me as an 8 year old backpacking up near Yosemite. It was a 7 mile hike which felt like 7,000 miles. It took all day. But then, at the end, awaiting ALL my cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. We had church up there even. I learned to fish, listened to my great-uncles tell tall tales, and had my first taste of rattlesnake. My girl cousins and I would take turns having sleep overs at each others campsites and go cliff jumping together. In my mind, I lived for camping. And I miss my cousins. For me, that family tradition has shaped much of who I am. 

As in the podcast, traditions can change. Sadly, the one of everyone camping has changed. My kids won't get to have that same experience that my grandma and mom passed onto me. I have been struggling/thinking about how to instill family traditions into my little family of 6. 

I guess I'll share my magic traditions with you, but you need to share yours with me. I mean, its only fair. 

Daily:
-family prayer and hug followed by our family cheer*
-Scriptures with kids during lunch
-Storytime

Weekly:
-Sunday scripture lesson and a walk to the park or the pond or a bike ride
-Nacho Sunday
-Family Night on Monday
-Thursday night is mom's night off
-Friday family movie night*

Monthly:
-parent/kid date
-daddy/kid "interviews"
-send birthday cards to family
-date nights OUT with no phones allowed (well, not preoccupying us)

Birthdays/Mother's day/Father's Day:
-7 days of celebration

Yearly:
Couples only trip
Feb:-Jaedyn's coronation party
March: Easter- kids have to find their hidden Easter baskets
April:- kids lemonade stand*
June-blueberry picking*
Nov: Makana's favorite things party*
Dec: Secret Santa 12 days countdown, family 12 days of Christmas, Gingerbread houses, + more stuff


this year we went to Brazil. Next year is Cambodia

* these are traditions that just happened. It wasn't pre-conceived. It just was something that emerged and that has worked for our family

In the next few weeks I will be posting more about traditions and keeping kids occupied and engaged in general. But this will do. Now for your turn. What are your thoughts on traditions? Have you carried anything over from your family into your new family? 

1 comment:

Marcia Hansen said...

Traditions will never be forgotten by your kids! You have really thought this through and have the perfect ones! I'm so impressed! Just awesome! More people need to see this and incorporate it. Make a pamphlet and sell it.

It's a Wonderful Life and a GIVEAWAY!

Well, we have had Christmas decorations up since Nov 1 at my house. I decided there was no point in putting away Halloween to just move all ...