Thursday, September 29, 2016

An Unlikely Champion

Think about someone in your life who you would classify as an unlikely champion. Is it someone who has beat all odds? Have they remained cheerful and kind amidst incredible opposition? Did they rise from the depths of poverty or abuse to be able to stand strong and proud? When I think of a champion, I think of Olympians and a box of Wheaties. But when I put the word "unlikely" in front of it--- well, a whole new set of faces fill my mind and none of them are ones you would know.

Take the new film by Disney called Queen of Katwe: You can take a peek here

To me, this fully embodies a real champion; unlikely or not. These are people to instill hope and keep fighting when the world says no. For me, I find this champion is my mom- Chris Limary. She is the mother of 10. She raised us to love God, love each other, and serve those in need. When she turned 50, she had a sudden and unexpected heart-attack. I thought I had lost her. I was only 24.

She fought back for her health and for her family. That was 10 years ago. This summer she was rushed to the ER with a heart problem again. And I prayed that she would be able to fight it again. To me, she is the perfect example of an unlikely champion. She has regained her health, graduated from college and is working on her Masters. That may seem so insignificant to most people. But did you remember that she is the mother of 10 kids? She stayed home by choice to raise us. Because she did, I learned about true sacrifice and what it means to put the important things first. She went back to school which inspired me and my siblings to never give up on our dreams. In an age and country that is so different from where Queen of Katwe is based, often times I have noticed that we find reasons to be unhappy with our privileged lives. I saw how my mom went without so we could have food and pay the bills and she never complained. That, is a champion in my book.

This "film is based on the inspiring true story of Robert Katende and Phiona Mutesi. Phiona was a young girl living in the slums of Katwe, Uganda. One day she stumbles upon Katende and a group of children playing chess in a makeshift church. Through the guidance of Katende and the game of chess, Phiona is encouraged to believe in herself. Eventually, she finds herself not only competing in local chess matches, but winning in international competitions. Robert and Phiona’s story celebrates the notion that champions can come from the most unlikely places. "

I

No comments:

Soccer came and went

 We just finished up a 6 week soccer team. It was SO much fun. That's one of the things I LOVE about homeschooling is that there reall...